Sunday, January 16, 2011

Works by Julio Cortázar


            While reading things by Cortázar, I would try to watch for the twist, and avoid the trickery. Alas, he always sucked me in.  I became the reader in the chair, the wake crasher, and the axolotl. The story about the wake was my least favorite. I found it humorous, as it was intended, but also offensive. Funerals and wakes are a sacred time for many people. I understand that it was supposed to mock the hypocritical mourners, but for those who are truly anguished, the crashers are just prolonging their grieving process. My favorite mind twisting adventure was the first one we read by Cortázar. The Continuity of Parks brought me to a point where I was looking over my shoulder at the end of the story, and double-checking my chair to make sure it wasn’t green velvet. I enjoyed the story about Axolotls but it just left me with the impression that the guy was crazy and needed to get a life in his new location. Supposedly he felt a connection with the Axolotls but honestly he could have looked for a human who felt the same imprisoning feeling of displacement.  One thing I have learned in my many life experiences is that there is always someone, somewhere who feels the same. You are never the only one… Unless you are Tigger. 

1 comment:

  1. Yuk Yuk: the Tigger joke is funny. I think you are right about the challenges of "Our Demeanor at Wakes," but did you notice that among the little hearts and rainbows in your background, here, you have little skulls and cross-bones? Actually, this kind of irreverence is de rigeur these days, so it is to be expected.

    ReplyDelete